ABOUT THE CLUB
The Morrisburg & District Lions Club: 60+ Years of Service
The Club is now 60+ years old, having been chartered November 16, 1949. In 1950, more than 150 people packed into the St. Mary’s parish hall in Morrisburg for the first meeting of the Morrisburg Lions Club. It was there that M.D. Wilson, the club’s first president, read a telegram from Melvin Jones, the founder of Lionism. It wasn’t long until the club was working to make the community a better place, starting with their Easter Seals drive and creation of a tennis court in the centre of town.
Over the years, there have been hundreds of facilities delivered to the community, and hundreds of thousands of dollars raised and donated. Among the early projects started or assisted by the Lions Club has been a tennis court (1958), the first Zamboni at the community centre (1972), and playground equipment at two community parks (1974).
The Club responded decisively to an community need in 1976 when the Morrisburg Arena was deemed unsafe, and in need of $40,000 in repairs to get it up to regulations. The Club covered 10% of the costs, helping to ensure the arena opened as planned for the 1976-77 hockey season. In 1986, the Club was at it again, giving another $10,000 donation that went to cover a portion of the cost of a new ice-making plant, and in 1993, another $5,000 went to cover costs associated with repairing the arena’s roof.
In 1983, with the Winchester & District Memorial Hospital in need of money, the Club responded again, this time going door to door to raise more than $20,000. The money went toward the laboratory expansion. A decade later, a car rally raised another $10,000 for the hospital. The Club’s support for the hospital hasn’t wavered, as it continues to raise and donate money for the hospital and its latest expansion projects.
Throughout the years, the Lions Club has undertaken many community celebrations, including Winter Carnival, Applefest, and Old Home Week. Currently, the Club is responsible for events during the summer including Antiquefest, l Tubie Festival and a “Hole-In-One Golf Tournament.
The Lions Club operates the Morrisburg Arena Canteen from September to April (when the ice is in). It owns and operates the popular Docksyde Ice-Cream & Snack Bar from the Queen Victoria Birthday weekend to Labour Day. These initiatives provide employment for several students and thus actively contribute to the finances necessary to achieve the education goals of these local teens. In addition, we are an active participant in the annual South Dundas Trade Show.
With a group of Lions specifically dedicated to young families and children in the community, the Club conducts regular vision screening for grade two children in South Dundas. Additionally the Club participates in the Non Child Without (NCW) program that provides Medic Alert bracelets or necklets for children with life threatening diseases. For several years the Club has participated in the South Dundas Christmas Exchange by managing the Angel Tree to ensure children in the community receive age appropriate gifts.
We host a series of annual events like the Seniors Christmas Concert, Car Rallies with proceeds for various groups in the community, White Cane Day that raises money for the visually impaired in the community, bi-annual road clean-up, BBQing at various events, tent rentals, etc.
The Club often works with other Lions in Dundas to support local needs and initiatives: an example is Dundas Hospice.
Click here to download the 2010 Club Report.